The Two of Us...

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Baby's Room (Before)

The future baby's room in our home has some "issues". Our home has all the character and problems of a home that was built in 1941. One of those problems is the guest bedroom (the baby's room). One of the previous owners decided it would be a good idea to completely upholster the walls. It looked very nice if you were going for that poorly decorated padded cell aesthetic. Not all the walls were padded though. In fact one wall was paneled and whitewashed to give it the very popular early American Tom Sawyer / Huckleberry Finn good old cheap look.

When I removed the fabric and the batting from the walls, the dry wall was in horrible shape. The only thing that my budget and handyman skills would allow at the time was to cover the wall with textured and paintable wallpaper. I also quickly painted the whitewashed paneling with a color that evidently no one likes but me!

Therefore, we have decided it is time to redo the room. We want to completely gut the room and insulate all four walls and put new drywall and trim back. Then Allison can decorate the room anyway she wants (maybe a Noah's Ark Theme). We have received two estimates and hope to get the thing done before the baby gets here...if our budget allows.

Below I’ve posted the "before" pictures. Hopefully I’ll be able to post the "after" pictures in a couple or three months.

"The Room" when I bought the house (view #1)...
Photobucket

"The Room" as it is today (view #1)...
Photobucket

"The Room" when I bought the house (view #2)...
Photobucket

"The Room" as it is today (view #2)...
Photobucket

"The Room" when I bought the house (view #3)...
Photobucket

"The Room" as it is today (view #3)...
Photobucket

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How I remember the padded cell. It really doesn't show on the picture, but I had forgotten what an improvement you have made. Grandpa T says thanks for letting him spend the night in the pre-baby room Thursday night. It sure made the drive to Dallas easier having a place to stay the night before and a driver to Baylor.

MEO said...

To make you feel better, Stephen, I actually really liked the maroon accent wall in the guest room. So far I've been too timid to paint anything any color than a khaki green, so all the power to you! It was wonderful to meet you last week, and the blog is very funny.

todd said...

I can't believe you are just now letting us know about your blog! This is cool. Hey, who wrote the "Streaks on the china" poem? Todd

SLK said...

Todd,
The poem "According to Our New Arrival (Streaks on the china)" is actually the theme song to the eighties sitcom "Mr. Belvedere". I thought it was funny and sort of fit the blog.

Unknown said...

Seriously...why did it take so long to let us know about your blog? It is exactly the kind of blog that I would expect from you! Miss you guys! I haven't heard...girl or boy?