The Two of Us...

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Giving Thanks...2009

This was quite an unexpected Thanksgiving for my little household this year. We were initially supposed to go to my parent’s home in East Texas. A small army of relatives on my dad’s side was going to come down and get a genuine taste of Texas hospitality via my mom. Things didn’t exactly turn out that way.

A week before Thanksgiving my sister found out she was going under the surgeon’s knife on Monday morning. Given the customary one night stay in ICU and a second night “on the floor”, we had to cancel the mini-family reunion.

Instead, my dad, my mom, my sister, my brother and my brother’s two dogs came to North Texas for a little cutting of the turkey and cutting of my sister. The little house in the hood was full that week.

My family came into town Sunday afternoon and in the midst of eating a little lunch, my mom decided to go lie down and rest a bit from the trip. What she and the rest of the family didn’t realize was that sickness was hovering in our midst. For the next three to four days my mom was plagued with fever, aching, upset stomach and stuff I don’t even want to start to describe. It was not a fun time. I’m sure she also found it annoying that everyone would spray her down with Lysol if she even started towards any of us.

I barely noticed that my mom was sick and that my sister was having surgery because my brother brought his PLAYSTATION 3 with him. It was as if the heavens opened up and blessed my little home with a small bit of perfection. I do not think I can put into words the joy that is the PS3. Allison went on and on about how wonderful the controller fit into my hand and how dashing I looked playing it. I really think Allison wants me to have one of my own. I can tell just by the way she rolls her eyes when I turned the thing on.

Below are a few pictures of the men playing with the PS3:

Me, Caleb (trying to get on the couch to help us) and David playing the PS3…
Photobucket

Caleb was a very big help to David…
Photobucket

I just have to point out that since David had all the help from Caleb, my character died a premature death (see right side of the TV).
Photobucket

Enough for now about the Playstation 3 (I did say "for now").

My sister’s surgery went off without a hitch and my mother eventually recovered enough to leave the bedroom. My mom and my lovely bride whipped up a very lovely Thanksgiving meal and I have a feeling we will still be eating the leftovers next Thanksgiving.

The bounty that filled our Thanksgiving table…
Photobucket

The desserts…
Photobucket

I think this was the second or third time we have ever used our wedding china…isn’t it pretty…
Photobucket

The Thanksgiving Cooks, Allison and my mom (Marilyn)
Photobucket

My dad (Travis)…
Photobucket

My brother (David)…
Photobucket

My sister (Sarah, three days after surgery)…
Photobucket

My son (Caleb)…It was his first Thanksgiving…
Photobucket

I thought I would post a few more pictures after Thanksgiving…
Caleb and his walker friend…
Photobucket

David and Caleb on the living room floor…
Photobucket

Caleb helping with the outside Christmas decorations…
Photobucket

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving as well.

No comments: